The proliferation of services that help home buyers and sellers complete their own real estate transactions is relatively recent, and it may have you wondering whether using a real estate agent is becoming a relic of a bygone era. While doing the work yourself can save you the significant commission rates many real estate agents command, for many, flying solo may not be the way to go-and could end up being more costly than a realtor’s commission in the long run. Buying or selling a home is a major financial (and emotional) undertaking. Find out why you shouldn’t discard the notion of hiring an agent just yet.
When deciding whether to use a real estate agent or sell on your own, be sure to carefully weigh the pros and cons so that you make the best decision for your family and situation. Here is our list of top reasons why most people use a real estate agent.
- Real estate agents have market knowledge. Because of their access to the most recent market data, agents are able to give you advice on realistic purchase and listing prices. Plus, they can provide you with a report of comparable homes for sale and historic market data, so that you can ensure you’re getting the most for your money.
- They negotiate for you. One of the most difficult tasks whether buying or selling a home, is handling the negotiations. Many times, real estate agents can help you to get creative with your offers, so that you end up with a deal that has your best interests in mind.
- They coordinate and host your showings. Whether you’re buying or selling, real estate agents can be a lifesaver when it comes to doing the hard work for you. When selling your home, it is almost impossible to coordinate showings and open houses in between your work and life schedule. A real estate agent will be there for you when a last minute showing comes up in the middle of the day or when you need to schedule 15 appointments on a Saturday.
- Real estate agents offer additional ways to find and sell homes. When looking for a new home, real estate agents have the inside scoop on the latest listings- sometimes even before they hit the MLS. Through their relationships, they’re able to quickly assess the seller’s situation in order to give you advice on offer negotiation tactics. When selling, real estate agents will leverage their networks in order to sell your home more aggressively to other agents. The NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS® studies show that 82% of real estate sales are the result of agent contacts through previous clients, referrals, friends, family and personal contacts.
- Realtors know how to sell homes. Today, prospective buyers expect professional photos and videos to accompany your listing. Let your real estate agent handle staging and marketing your home across various channels. Plus, let them screen candidates before you spend your extra time cleaning your home for a showing.
- They will help you negotiate inspections. If you’re planning on buying a new home, expect for your inspector to find things that need to be fixed before closing. Your real estate agent will help you wade through your inspection report and decide which items should fixed prior to closing. On the selling side, your real estate agent will provide the same guidance when your buyer comes back with fix requests.
- Real estate agents will connect you with trusted partners. As you buy or sell a home, you may need to hire additional professional services, including: inspectors, lawyers, moving companies, plumbers, title companies and more. Let your real estate agent recommend people that they have a good reputation in your community.
- Your realtor will guide you through the closing process. At the closing table, your real estate agent will be right there with you to explain each piece of paperwork before you sign. It will make you feel more at ease with the process.
- They will help you stay objective. Whether buying or selling a home, it’s important to stay objective during negotiations in order to get the best deal.
- Great agents will help you buy or sell a home quickly. If you’re using an agent in our preferred network, you’ll know that you’re working with the best. As you can see from these statistics, our agents sell homes quickly and at the best price.